Tribute to Dr. N A B Fernando, one of my unforgettable Principals
One of the principals who I cannot forget in my life is Dr. N.A.B.Fernando. He was the principal of wesley college colombo during my last few years at school. He left wesley and went to London during the same period when i had passed out of wesley in 2000.
Little did I know that he would leave me with some everlasting memories, unforgettable conversations and things to ponder throughout my life, when i 1st saw him at our college hall while playing table tennis. This happened only couple of days since he had taken over as principal. He had come into the hall to glance through the "Hill Medal"(highest academic award of the school) award list and head prefects board which was put up right at the back of Wesley College Hall, which had his batch mates names on it.
Dr.NAB Fernando understood students minds naturally. His words of encouragement, saying that i should work for united nations our lingering in my mind. The 1 st time I heard him say, that, i should try to work for united nations, i took it light, thinking it as a word of encouragement..but the person the was, he recalled it and said the same thing after couple months when I was reaching the end of my schooling career. This insistence and memory took me by a huge surprise. Those moments like so many other precious moments are embozed in my mind.
I recall him saying to me that he lost his father at the age of thirteen, and about his innate liking for choir and oratory. The support he gave for conducting debates and benefit shows make us ever so indebeted to him.
I can remember his formal appearance, his stern looks and articulate use of language. I was deeply saddened to know about his demise in London on march 16th....never really wanted to blog about it since then...but thought that...this should be a chapter in my blog which shouldn't be missed..thats why it has taken thislong to bring this out of my mind.
He was a role model for all wesleyites.
I found a great passage of appreciation of Dr. N.A.B.Fernando in this website of infolanka, to view click here
Little did I know that he would leave me with some everlasting memories, unforgettable conversations and things to ponder throughout my life, when i 1st saw him at our college hall while playing table tennis. This happened only couple of days since he had taken over as principal. He had come into the hall to glance through the "Hill Medal"(highest academic award of the school) award list and head prefects board which was put up right at the back of Wesley College Hall, which had his batch mates names on it.
Dr.NAB Fernando understood students minds naturally. His words of encouragement, saying that i should work for united nations our lingering in my mind. The 1 st time I heard him say, that, i should try to work for united nations, i took it light, thinking it as a word of encouragement..but the person the was, he recalled it and said the same thing after couple months when I was reaching the end of my schooling career. This insistence and memory took me by a huge surprise. Those moments like so many other precious moments are embozed in my mind.
I recall him saying to me that he lost his father at the age of thirteen, and about his innate liking for choir and oratory. The support he gave for conducting debates and benefit shows make us ever so indebeted to him.
I can remember his formal appearance, his stern looks and articulate use of language. I was deeply saddened to know about his demise in London on march 16th....never really wanted to blog about it since then...but thought that...this should be a chapter in my blog which shouldn't be missed..thats why it has taken thislong to bring this out of my mind.
He was a role model for all wesleyites.
I found a great passage of appreciation of Dr. N.A.B.Fernando in this website of infolanka, to view click here
0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home