New Job: after finishing with melbourne university degree
This is more of a come back blog. The reason i didnt blog for long was partly due to my search for substantive topics to blog about. What better topic to make a come back on, than the topic of getting the first major job, after passing out of university. After finishing MBIT in december 2007, i continued to work in my part time job at salesforce.
There is a great deal of difference in getting into and making it big in a part time job compared full time one. I thought the only thing which is sure to happen is getting stuck with a particular part time job forever. (After some time even if you want to leave the part time job it wont let you go away) - that kind of feeling arose in me.
In my opinion the uni melb did reasonable in getting the big employers for career fairs. Most of them have a cut off date around march/april (as its the peak time)for graduate recruitment. By no means a uni melb degree is a easy red carpet walk to any big corporate which came for the career fairs. However, the name melbourne university equates to quality and value. I ve heard this from employers during recent interview processes i had.
After applying for close to one month i got the break through. I believed all i wanted was an inteview call, the rest was on my hand. The lessons i learnt were crucial but pretty obvious. I think as a graduate its important to apply for roles for which one has a better chance of getting a call, than for any random roles which looks fancy and attractive. Out of the various ones which I ve applied the one ive got into ended up as the closest match to my profile. Job hunting after graduating was an exciting challenge, because, i truly believed just as much as i would want to work wit a certain company, the company should also earn me. This attitude kept me going with my chin up. I shall keep the company name and the interview process for the next blog..but just to keep you guessing it is a conculting biggy.lucky me.:0
There is a great deal of difference in getting into and making it big in a part time job compared full time one. I thought the only thing which is sure to happen is getting stuck with a particular part time job forever. (After some time even if you want to leave the part time job it wont let you go away) - that kind of feeling arose in me.
In my opinion the uni melb did reasonable in getting the big employers for career fairs. Most of them have a cut off date around march/april (as its the peak time)for graduate recruitment. By no means a uni melb degree is a easy red carpet walk to any big corporate which came for the career fairs. However, the name melbourne university equates to quality and value. I ve heard this from employers during recent interview processes i had.
After applying for close to one month i got the break through. I believed all i wanted was an inteview call, the rest was on my hand. The lessons i learnt were crucial but pretty obvious. I think as a graduate its important to apply for roles for which one has a better chance of getting a call, than for any random roles which looks fancy and attractive. Out of the various ones which I ve applied the one ive got into ended up as the closest match to my profile. Job hunting after graduating was an exciting challenge, because, i truly believed just as much as i would want to work wit a certain company, the company should also earn me. This attitude kept me going with my chin up. I shall keep the company name and the interview process for the next blog..but just to keep you guessing it is a conculting biggy.lucky me.:0
1 Comments:
Hi I am an engineering graduate from india , BE computer engineering from delhi college of engineering and with 1.5 yrs of work ex , I was thinking of applying for MBIT program . Can you please advise me on the job prospects after the course for international students and how is the course overall.
Thanks
Sarthak
My ID is sarthaksindhwani@yahoo.com
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home